Here you can find the free crochet pattern for a tapestry crochet holly square.
This is nice quick crochet project, that will make a small square, and its perfect for someone whose a beginner at tapestry crochet!
I had never tried tapestry crochet before designing this square, so I came up with a simple yet effective design.
This is the perfect beginners project for tapestry crochet, as it has very few colour changes, and you can carry the yarn between the colour blocks.
Never having done Tapestry crochet before, I looked to some of my fellow designers for top tips.
For Tips on Tapestry Crochet I can not recommend enough
- Bluestar Crochet and her changing colour tutorial
- Raffamusa Designs for her Ultimate guide to Tapestry Crochet
What you need to know about Tapestry Crochet
- It’s usually done in Single crochet (USA)
- To change colour you can either carry the yarn, or “drop the yarn”
- If you carry the yarn, the “crochet fabric” will be double the thickness, so depending on your project you may need to factor that in.
- To “carry” the yarn, make sure the yarn is at the “back” of the stitch – this will change depending on what side you are working on.
I am no expert, but I can tell you what I learnt!
I love a bit of Christmas Crochet, and have lots of free patterns
- Mini Cutlery Stocking pattern
- Quick easy festive stocking
- Mince Pie Pattern
- Boho Stocking pattern
- Quick and easy festive wreath
- All my festive patterns
9 Festive Tapestry Crochet Square Pattern Options
There are a few ways to get all the patterns
- you can follow the blog hop of the Tapestry Crochet Christmas Squares here
- You can buy the ebook for the 9 designs here with Left and Right Handed instructions
Tapestry Crochet Holly Square Pattern
Worsted weight yarn in 3 colours (Yarn used was Red heart Super Saver in Cherry Red, Paddy Green and White)
Single crochet (USA terms)
Square should measure 21 sts by 23 rows
measure 13.25cm ( 5 1/5 inches or 5.2 inches)
5mm hook, or one that will give this tension
Chain 22, start working into 2nd chain from the hook.
(W) = White (R) = Red (G) = Green
Row 1: (W) x 21
Row 2: (W) x 21
Row 3: (W) x 21
Row 4: (W) x 6, (R) x 2, (W) x2, (R) x 2, (W) x 9
Row 5: (W) x 9, (R) x 2, (W) x 2, (R) x 2, (W) x 6
Row 6: (W) x 21
Row 7: (W) x 7, (R) x 2, (W) x 2, (R) x 2, (W) x 8
Row 8: (W) x 8, (R) x 2, (W) x 2, (R) x 2, (W) x 7
Row 9: (W) x 21
Row 10: (W) x 12, (G) x 4, (W) x 5
Row 11: (W) x 5, (G) x 4, (W) x 12
Row 12: (W) x 6, (G) x 4, (W) x 2, (G) x 4, (W) x 5
Row 13: (W) x 5, (G) x 4, (W) x 2, (G) x 4, (W) x 6
Row 14: (W) x 6, (G) x 4, (W) x 4, (G) x 4, (W) x 3
Row 15: (W) x 3, (G) x 4, (W) x 4, (G) x 4, (W) x 6
Row 16: (W) x 4, (G) x 4, (W) x 6, (G) x 4, (W) x 3
Row 17: (W) x 3, (G) x 4, (W) x 6, (G) x 4, (W) x 4
Row 18: (W) x 4, (R) x 4, (W) x 13
Row 19: (W) x 13, (G) x 4, (W) x 4
Row 20: (W) x 21
Row 21: (W) x 21
Row 22: (W) x 21
Row 23: (W) x 21 \
Join me at Off The Hook For You to share your crochet!
Thanks for visiting – I’d love to stay connected with you so please sign up for my email list where a free PDF pattern is waiting for you (just so you can see what my PDF patterns are like).
Finished one of my crochet pattern makes? I’d love to see it and so would the world, so get sharing! You can find me in the following ways:
- Follow me on Pinterest
- Join my new Facebook group
- Share a picture on Instagram and tag me #offthehookforyou
- Share your projects on Ravelry
- Share your projects on LoveCrafts
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small commission from if you choose to click and purchase anything from. You pay the same price, I get a very small amount for sending you their way. It helps me to make my crochet patterns free on the blog.