I love a crochet market tote! There I’ve said it – I don’t think you can really beat a crochet shopping bag. I love a crochet shopping bag. They are so handy – for popping to the shops, or the library, or the park – in fact – you can take a crochet bag anywhere
- They are practical
2. They are good for the environment (Just think of all the plastic bags you’ll not use)
3. They are quick to make
4. They look pretty cool
5. They are also great for using up stash yarn too!
6. They make great gifts (everyone needs a bag!)
Here on the blog today I’m sharing some of my favourite patterns from other designers – as lets be honest – you can never have too many bags.
If you want to save this of later please pin it here.
Do you call them a Market tote or a bag?
There seems to be two different names for the same thing- a market tote or a market bag (Make that 6 with shopping or grocery as options too!).
In the UK, I think we’d automatically call it a crochet bag, but the USA seem to favor Tote.
The verb Tote – means “to carry” so you’d Tote something home – which makes sense!
I have found some great free crochet patterns for you. From sturdy to mesh, there is sure to a crochet market bag pattern here for you.
Yarn for crochet market totes
I think the yarn choice for a crochet tote makes a huge difference. Most if not all of the designs I’ve found below use a cotton yarn for the bags. This is perfect as it’s hard wearing, but also not “Too Stretchy” (like an acrylic yarn can be – you don’t want a full bag to be hitting the floor now do you?).
Some great cottons yarns on the market to make a market bag are:
The cotton yarn makes these bags the PERFECT summer crochet make. Cotton is great to crochet with during the hotter months, as you don’t get “Squeaky” fingers like you do with Acrylic yarn.
Crochet Market Bag Patterns
The patterns I have found are of varying difficulty, and have great unique looks to them – I’ve tried to find a crochet design for everyone – whether it be a mesh design you are looking for – or a close texture laptop bag.
- The Eco Grab Bag – a one ball of yarn quick make
2. The Weekend Wanderer – a great large market tote with an interesting construction
3. The Wildrose Market Bag – made from lots of joined squares
4. Local Has my Heart – a great example of tapestry crochet
5. The Wing it Tote – this bag uses different chain combinations to give the mesh effect
6. Manhattan Market Tote – a great use of close texture and mesh effect
7. Fraiche Market Tote – a sturdy bag perfect for a laptop
8. Lattice Market Bag – a beautiful crochet design – the perfect size for a market tote
9. Finger crochet market tote – Yep this one is made using finger crochet
10. The Mercer market bag – great effect using V-Stitch
The Eco Grab bag by offthehookforyou
2. The Weekend Wanderer by Chi Wei of 1dogwoof
3. The Wildrose Market Bag – by All about Ami
4. Local Has My Heart by Lakesideloops.
5. The Wing it Tote – by Off the Hook for you
6. Manhattan Market Tote from Mama in a Stitch
7. Fraiche Market Tote from Sewrella
8. Lattice Market Bag – by Hookedonhomemadehappiness
9. Finger crochet market tote By MakeandDoCrew
10. The Mercer Market Bag by Sweetsofties
If you want to save this for later – please Pin it below.
Join me at Off The Hook For You to share your crochet!
Thanks for visiting – I’d love to stay connected with you so please sign up for my email list where a free PDF pattern is waiting for you (just so you can see what my PDF patterns are like).
Finished one of my crochet pattern makes? I’d love to see it and so would the world, so get sharing! You can find me in the following ways:
- Join my new Facebook group
- Share a picture on Instagram and tag me #offthehookforyou
- Share your projects on Ravelry
- Share your projects on LoveCrafts
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small commission from if you choose to click and purchase anything from. You pay the same price, I get a very small amount for sending you their way. It helps me to make my crochet patterns free on the blog.